2 egg yolks
1 rounded cups sugar
1 tsp. baking power — heaping
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond flavoring
1/2 cup (1 cube) melted margarine
1 level tsp. salt
1/2 can (6 oz) evaporated milk
4 to 4 1/2 cups unsifted flour–start with 4 and add up to 1 more if needed
2 lbs of Lard (for deep frying)
brown paper bags (for cooling)
1. Add each ingredient as it appears on the list.
2. Stir as long as possible (add flour 1 cup at a time).
3. Divide dough into about 3 parts.
4. Knead 1 part of the dough at a time, nbsp;adding flour as needed until dough
can be rolled out like cookie dough, 1/4″ to 3/8″ thick. Cut strips 3/4″ to
1″ wide by 3″ to 4″ long. Make a slit 1 1/2″ in the center of each
piece of Kliner and push one end into the slit and pull through to make
a twist. Cutting one end into a point will help getting it into the slit.
5. Heat 2 lbs. of lard in a large kettle until 325 degrees F.
Put strips of Kliner into kettle and cook until light brown, cooking 5 or
6 at a time. Drain on brown paper bags. When cooled, store in a closed